I am so excited to start the school year and to be working with your child and family! The preschool program will be using Creative Curriculum, Everyday Math, and Handwriting Without Tears curriculum programs. We will also be focusing on the social and emotional growth of your child. I am looking forward to getting to know all of my students and their families. A successful home/school partnership is vital to your child’s success.
Just some reminders for the first day of school on September 5:
- Preschool will open its doors at 8:30 am and pick up is promptly at 3:30 pm.
- CHANGE IN DROP OFF- Please use the side Preschool room door. This door is around the corner from the Preschool hallway door that I originally told many of you to use for drop off. Drop off time begins at 8:30, we will being to let families in at that time. Please remember to sign your child in when dropping off.
- PICK UP- is at 3:30, for pick up please use the preschool hallway doors. The preschool entrance will be unlocked during pick up. Please remember that children need to be signed out at pick up.
- BEFORE/AFTERCARE- If your child will be in extended preschool care this is also held in the preschool room, you will need to use the main entrance for pick up and drop off. Before care begins at 7:15 am and Aftercare ends PROMPTLY at 6:00 pm.
- PARKING- Due to the construction that is continuing at Thurston, the parking lot will not be available for parking. When dropping off and picking up your preschooler, you may use to the drop off lane to quickly escort your preschooler into/out of the preschool room. If you are going to take more time with your preschooler at drop off or pick up please find street parking. Parking is available on Prairie Street in front of Thurston. If you are dropping your child off after the Elementary school day starts, you must go through the main Thurston entrance and sign in at the office before proceeding to the preschool room. The preschool doors remain locked throughout the day for security, but will be unlocked for pick up.
- On the first day please bring small blanket for your child for rest time, your child may also choose to bring a small stuffed friend. You may want to send a small crib sheet for the cot; this provides extra comfort for the child but is not required. When choosing items please remember to take size into consideration our storage space is limited. NO full size blankets or pillows. Toys from home are to stay at home, and NO weapons are allowed at preschool. We also ask that you bring a change of clothes for your child, this includes underwear and socks.
- At preschool we like to have pictures of our families, we would appreciate it if you would please send in a photo of your family. Make sure this is not the only copy of this photo that you have, many times our photo are well loved by the end of the year.
- Thurston Preschool is a nut free room; we do have these allergies in our room. When sending lunch and/or snacks in with your child please make sure they are peanut/tree nut free. The preschool program provides snacks twice a day, if you choose to send an additional snack for your child, please make sure this is a healthy snack such as a fruit or vegetable.
- At preschool we like to help our friends celebrate their birthdays. We want to be able to include all our friends, if you would like to send a birthday treat for your child’s birthday we ask that it be a healthy food choice, or other options include non-edible item such as a pencil. Preschool WILL NOT be serving cupcakes as a birthday treats. Please let a classroom teacher know if you will be bringing a treat for the class, thank you in advance for your understanding and cooperation.
- Parents are always welcome in the preschool room, if you would like to volunteer to share an activity with the preschoolers, read, or just help out in the classroom please let a teacher know. Some activities the preschoolers do may require additional adult support; please consider these opportunities to participate in the preschool class. Look for those requests in the weekly newsletter.
- We worry about our students, if your child is going to be absent from school please call the preschool room directly at 734-997-1243 or send me an email. Should you have any questions or concerns at anytime, please feel free to contact me, my email is firstname.lastname@example.org, or you may call the preschool room directly.
- I want to thank you in advance for you understanding and cooperation. Due to the continuing construction at Thurston I anticipate adjustment to our schedule and procedures (for example the change of our drop off door location). Hopefully these will be limited and I will keep you notified of any changes.
- SPECIALS SCHEDULE- This is the preschools beginning specials schedule for the first two weeks of school.
Monday: Art 10:20-11:05, Music 2:25-2:55
Tuesday: Music 9:50-10:20, Art 2:10-2:55
Wednesday: PE 9:40-10:10, Media 2:25-2:55
Thursday: PE 10:35-11:05, Media 2:25-2:55
Friday: Music 10:05-10:35, Media 1:55-2:25
Make sure to check out our preschool website for additional information at: www.thurstonpreschool.weebly.com
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the first day of school please feel free to email me.
I hope you have a wonderful Labor Day, and I am looking forward to seeing everyone on Tuesday.