I hope many of you had the opportunity to come and enjoy the festivities Friday night at the Fall Festival. I saw many of our preschool friends walking through the halls, it seems like it was a fun time for all!
I want to again start this weeks newsletter with some information regarding changes in the staffing at Preschool. Miss Kelly will begin this Monday, October 30, welcoming our before care friends and will be with us throughout the day leaving at 3:00. Interviews are being held to staff the additional position from 12-6, this is the individual who covers the aftercare portion of the day. While we are waiting for the new staff person, we are lucky to have for the next two weeks Ms. Forgacs joining us. Ms. Forgacs is an experienced substitute teacher and has filled in for many Thurston teachers. I feel very comfortable with her working with your children. I will keep you updated of any additional changes as I am notified of them. Thank you for your understanding, if you have any questions or concern please contact Mrs. Geidner.
This week we will conclude our unit study of Trees, we will be looking at how tree change and what trees are used for. Our letter focus is the letter I. Please help your child identify words that begin with the letter "I" sound, you could write these words down on a piece of paper and we can add them to our word list. We are trying to see how many words we can identify that start with our focus letter every week.
The Halloween Parade is this Tuesday, October 31 at 3:20
Your student will be able to bring in their Halloween costume and walk in the parade with the other Thurston students through the Thurston neighborhood.
Preschool will be the caboose of the parade. We could use a few parent volunteers to help the preschoolers with getting into their costumes before the parade and walking along with us. Please note that if your child will be participating in the parade they will not be available at 3:30 for pick up, the parade will take ruffly 30 min. If you are interested in helping or have a question regarding pick up please contact Mrs. Geidner.
Getting Ready for the Halloween Parade Tuesday, October 31, 2017 @ 3:20pm
Halloween Costume Guideline!
1. All Costumes should be in a bag or backpack, labeled with your child’s name and can be worn over their clothes only.
2. Please do not send any costume that can't be worn over your child’s school clothes or make-up that needs to be put on your child. This also includes any shoes that are distracting to the school day.
3. Costumes may not have a weapon, be overly gruesome, offensive, bloody or inappropriate for a school-friendly environment. If you are not sure about the appropriateness of your child’s costume please ask your classroom teacher.
4. If you do not want your child to participate, please let your classroom teacher know. We will make sure alternate options are available for those students.
4. All parents wanting to walk with students during the parade must wait outside of the 1st/2nd grade outside doors to join. Due to our large numbers we need to leave the halls clear for students as they are joining the parade with in the school.
Please check to make sure you have returned the permission slips for the Fluoride Varnish Program "Smiles for a Lifetime". I still have a lot of students that have not returned these permission slips. Even if you choose to opt out of this program the permission slip still needs to be returned.The Fluoride Varnish will be done on November 15. A permission slip for this application was sent home with your child, please read over this permission slip, sign and return it to preschool as quickly as possible. If you have any questions or need another permission slip, please speak with Mrs. Geidner.
Please continue to look at your packaged goods for Box Top for Education, they are on a variety of products. Thurston school participates in this program and receives 10 cents for every box top turned in.
Upcoming Events to put on your calendars:
Tuesday, November 7
No School-Election Day
Tuesday, November 21
Thurston Turkey Trot- More information to come
Wednesday-Friday, November 22-24
No School- Thanksgiving Break
Just a reminder that if your child is going to be absent please contact the preschool room at 734-997-1243 or send an email to Mrs. Geidner. This number rings the preschool room directly, if we are out of the room you may also leave a message.
Thank you for your continued support,