*REMINDER: NO SCHOOL THIS FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 16 AND MONDAY, FEBRUARY 19- ANN ARBOR PUBLIC SCHOOLS MID-WINTER BREAK.*
This week we will continue the author study on Dr Seuss, through his Birthday on March 2. Our focus letter this week is the letter R. We will also be continuing our nutrition education program sponsored by Michigan State University Extension programs. This past week we studied Proteins and the different foods we get protein from.
Kindergarten Round-ups are starting soon, please refer to the Ann Arbor Public School website for a complete schedule of the Ann Arbor Public Schools Kindergarten Round-up dates and times. Thurston's Kindergarten Round up is Thursday, February 22 from 6-7:30. We are also holding a Preschool Open house that night so be sure to pass the word on to any prospective Preschool parents interested in the 18-19 school year.
National African American Parent Involvement Day (NAAPID) is Monday, February 12. All parents are invited to come and spend some time with the preschool class for part or all of the day.
Preschool will be doing a Valentines exchange on Valentine's Day this Wednesday. The Valentine Exchange is optional, if you choose to exchange Valentines here are a couple of things to keep in mind. If your Valentines include a sweet treat please remember that we do have peanut/nut, milk, and egg allergies in the classroom, please check to make sure your treats do not contain these items, also when writing out your child's Valentines it is easier for delivery if they are not made out to a specific friend. Please leave the To blank and only have your child write their name in the From area. There are 16 friends in preschool.
Preschool is also looking forward to a parent presentation on the Lunar New Year, this Thursday morning (February 15). All preschool families are invited to come and join in this presentation with the preschool class. We will be starting around 9.
Miss Kelly has now completed the milk jug igloo, thank you for all the milk jugs families contributed. The igloo is made up of 310.5 milk jugs, we couldn't have done it without your help, and the preschoolers are really enjoying playing in it.
Thank you to all of you who continue checking your grocery items and clipping those Box Top, each ones gives 10 cents to Thurston School.
Safe Tips From Haven the Heron: Week of 2/12/18
This week’s tips are all about School Bus Safety. While school buses are a safe way for students to travel, children also need to do their part to stay alert and aware of their surroundings
SCHOOL SAFETY TIP: While riding the bus:
- Don't speak loudly or make loud noises that could distract the driver
- Stay in your seat
- Don't put your head, arms or hands out the window
- Keep aisles clear of books and bags
- Wait for the bus to stop completely before getting up from your seat
- When waiting for the bus, stay away from traffic and avoid roughhousing or other behavior that can lead to being distracted
- Line up away from the street or road as the bus approaches
- Wait until the bus has stopped and the door opens before approaching the bus
- If you have to cross in front of the bus, first walk at least 10 feet ahead until you can see the driver
- NEVER pick up an object that you drop under or near the bus. Never walk behind the bus or along the side of a moving bus
- Always be sure the driver can see you.
Monday, February 13 NAAPID
Wednesday, February 14 Valentines Day (Preschool will be exchanging Valentines)
Friday, February 16 and Monday, February 19 No School- Mid winter break
Thursday, February 22 Thurston Kindergarten Round-up and Preschool Open House 6-7:30
Wednesday, February 28- Early Release
Thank you for you continued support